Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Almost 14 Months Old... and even some stuff about Mommy

This is going to be one of those hodge-podge posts. Fenn has changed so much over the past month and a half. So I thought I should do a blog post to document some of the new things he's doing and saying. I am amazed at how much he has learned in such a short period of time.

~
At the time of his birthday party on December 6th, he was only taking 6 to 8 steps at a time. By Christmas, he was walking all over the house.
~ He has mastered the squat. He squats down, picks something up, and then comes back up to a stand with ease.
~ He can come up to a standing position from a kneeling position without using his hands to assist him.
~ He likes to stand at the top of the stairs and throw things over the baby gate (balls, plastic stars, plastic food storage containers, whatever amuses him). He laughs when he sees them going down the stairs.
~ If you ask him if he wants to take a bath, he starts repeating the word (for him, it's more like "Baa") and will walk to the bathroom.
~ He finally learned how to say "Bye Bye", wave goodbye, and blow kisses. He'll blow me a kiss when I drop him off at school and he'll blow a kiss to daddy when daddy is leaving for work each morning.
~ He'll hit you on the face (not realizing what he's doing, of course). When you tell him, "No, don't hit.", he'll nuzzle his head against you as if he's saying "I'm sorry. Don't be mad at me." Total master of manipulation at 13 months old!
~ He's been wearing shoes (Robeez, some StrideRites I got on consignment, some cute infant Converse Chuck Taylor hightops), but I had not had his feet sized so was only guessing at what size he should be wearing. I took him to a local shoe store and he is a size 5 wide (but they actually put him in a 5 1/2 for growing room). Now he has real big boy shoes that fit properly.
~ We're in the process of getting rid of his pacifier and the bottle. He's already off of formula and drinking organic whole milk. He only uses his pacifier during naptime and at night. And we're down to only one bottle at night. He drinks the rest of his milk from a sippy cup during the day.
~ If you ask him where his belly button is, he'll pat on his tummy area. And if you ask him where his head is, he'll pat his head.
~ He likes to dance (well, it's more like a bounce) and even taps his foot to the beat of the music.
~ When Dan was reading a favorite book to him the other morning (The Big Red Barn), he pointed to the cow and the rooster when Dan asked him to do so.
~ He likes to make sure Petey has on his collar each day. When he finds it, he'll pick it up and take it to wherever Petey is and hold it up to Petey's neck.
~ When I took him to the doctor last week, he weighed 23 lbs. 15 oz.

I'm sure there's more I could think of, but I'll stop here.

Plus, I just wrapped up my online photography workshop and thought I would include a few of my favorite photos highlighting some of my new skills. These photos were related to different Assignments I had during the class. I still have a ton to learn and will have to practice every single day. But I do feel like the class was totally worthwhile and I now have a better understanding of the exposure triangle (ISO, shutter speed, and aperture). I can actually take a photo in full Manual mode now! And I never shoot in 'Program' mode anymore; I mostly shoot in Aperture Priority mode. Now I'm looking forward to getting to the point where it is more like second nature and I don't have to think so much (and so long) about what settings to use and can concentrate more on the creative side of taking photos.

I just like the lighting on this first shot. Sweet photo of Fenn with his daddy.On this shot, my ISO was set too high and it caused some digital noise in the photo, but I still like it.This is a photo I took looking up into the Winterking Hawthorne we have in our frontyard. I used a wide aperture and focused on one branch causing the other branches in the background to be blurred.And this photo is one that I'm most proud of. Our assignment was to think of a creative way to either freeze motion or imply motion. I decided I wanted to freeze motion. Dan put the hose up on the roof to get the water coming down the rain chain next to our front porch. This is moving water... NOT ice. Check out the lens flare off that one droplet of water!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails