
Last weekend was a fun and busy weekend for us. On Saturday morning, we joined the YMCA near our house, and that afternoon we went to Noah's 2nd birthday party. {Noah is one of Fenn's classmates.} And then on Sunday, we spent about 3 hours at the Y pool. At the birthday party, they had a bounce house, a slip 'n slide, and a backyard playground set complete with a curved slide. As you can see in the photos, Fenn had a blast on the slip 'n slide with Noah and Mary Frances (another classmate). The boy does love the water! Anytime... anywhere! Since Fenn really didn't know how to get a running start and dive onto the slide, his daddy had to help him slide. But believe me, he always went willingly.
I wanted to take a few minutes and write about some of the things Fenn is doing and saying now. I'm going to have to stop doing this soon because he is learning new things so fast that I can't keep up anymore. Or I guess I'll just have to hit the highlights going forward. I have actually had a little list going for a few weeks now where I'll jot down things he does or says as a reminder to myself. His vocabulary has virtually exploded overnight. He can identify so many things correctly now. You may or may not be able to understand him, but if you know what he's talking about, you can tell he's using the correct word for it. Here's a little sample of what he's saying now:
:: apple sauce {ap poo SCHLAAUUH}. Notice the emphasis on 'sauce'. I believe apple sauce is his first two-word combination. And right now, apple sauce seems to be one of his favorite things to eat. In fact, his first three-word combination is "more apple sauce". Thank goodness they have different flavored ones now (strawberry, blueberry, etc.). They're all yummy!
:: sunscreen {shuh schwee}. He recognizes the bottle, calls it by name, and willingly comes to you to let you put some on him because he knows it means he's going outside to play. Smart kid!
:: yes {YAAAAHH}. Think swedish accent {I'm Inga from Sweden.}. It's hysterical! He'll also nod his head in an exaggerated manner when saying yes.
:: Elmo {uhhl MO}. He used to put an 'm' on the front and it came out more like 'meuhl MO', so I think it's kind of neat that he has corrected himself.
:: amen {AHHHH mah}. This is so sweet. We have a little book of bedtime prayers we read every night. Each page has a short story and then a corresponding prayer on the opposite page. When we're done, he says "AHHHH mah!".
:: Ashley {ash LEE}. Ashley is one of his teachers at school. When he says her name, it actually sounds pretty darned close to the way it should sound. His other teachers are Nicole and Heather. He'll say 'cole' for Nicole, but he won't say Heather yet.
:: vacuum cleaner {awn MOWah}. OK... that's not really correct. He knows what a lawn mower is, but when he sees a vacuum cleaner (which isn't often around this house!), he calls it a lawn mower. He's not really that far off! They are kind of similar when you think about it.
:: A few more words are please {spheez} (or something like that), tree {chwee}, up {op}, and help {hep}.
And here are a few things he's doing now that I think are cute. Heck, I'm his mommy, so I think everything he does is cute. Well... almost everything! I'm not real fond of when he decides to sit down at the bottom of the steps at school (and not get up) when I have Boone in his car seat, 2 diaper bags, and am having to hold Fenn's hand because I don't want him to get away from me in the parking lot. If I put anything down, I'll have to let go of Fenn in order to pick them back up!
:: To come home after picking the boys up at school, I have to drive down Kingston Pike. {For those who don't live here, it's kind of the main road that takes you almost anywhere you need to go in our part of Knoxville.} I usually turn off of Kingston Pike the first chance I get to avoid the afternoon traffic and cut across our neighborhood. But when I start to turn, Fenn starts saying "Noooooo... Nooooo". I can't figure out why he's saying that. Maybe he just likes staying on the main road so he can watch all the cars going by. Who knows???
:: A few weeks ago he started grabbing our hand and pulling us to wherever he wanted us to go with him. I just think that's one of the sweetest things ever!
:: We think he might be left-handed. Right now he is favoring his left hand, but we know he could change at anytime over the next couple of years. Or maybe he'll be ambidextrous like his mommy.
:: He is doing a pretty good job eating with a spoon and fork. He can usually get at least something to his mouth before dumping the food. He has a tendency to turn the spoon or fork sideways right before he gets it to his mouth. But he is improving! That apple sauce is slippery!
:: Another thing... when he's eating, he'll sometimes stuff his mouth if he really likes something (i.e., cheese, crackers, pasta pickups). And then he'll ask for more. I'll tell him to chew it up and swallow first, then he can have more. He'll do this little exaggerated chewing motion where he bobs his head up and down. Then he'll open his mouth and let you see that it is empty.
:: After a bath, we'll put him up on the changing table and put lotion on him before getting him dressed in his PJs. He likes to have a little lotion in his hand. The only problem is that instead of rubbing it in, he'll eat it. And then he'll ask for more!
:: He can match several colors. He has a puzzle that has pieces shaped like music notes, and each 'note' is a different color. The hole in the puzzle where each piece should go has the same color. He can put the pieces back in place. But he can also point to some of the colors when you ask him to do so. Distinguishing between red and pink is a little difficult, though. But he knows green, blue, and yellow... and sometimes even gets red and orange correct.
:: And I saved the best for last. Several weeks ago, we started putting him in "time out" whenever he acts out and/or does something we've told him not to do. He gets one warning, and one warning only! We're not going to be those kind of parents who keep making threats over and over and over ("If you do that one more time, you're going to time out.") and never actually follow through. Sorry if you're one of those parents. But we're just not playing that game. The first time we did it, he knew exactly what to do so we assumed he had already been in time out at school. I have to say he is so cute when he is in time out. We have a hard time keeping ourselves from laughing. He'll sit there and be completely quiet. And he'll even look straight at the wall (we have his stool in a corner and make him face the corner). Every once in a while, he'll turn around and look at us. But he doesn't say anything. He just waits until we tell him that time out is over. One time, he put himself in time out after hearing us say the word. I think we had just told him he was going to time out if he did something again. I guess he knew he'd slip up and do it again, so he might as well go ahead and get the time out over with. We had to tell him he had not done anything wrong and didn't have to sit in time out.
I sure do love that child!
I wanted to take a few minutes and write about some of the things Fenn is doing and saying now. I'm going to have to stop doing this soon because he is learning new things so fast that I can't keep up anymore. Or I guess I'll just have to hit the highlights going forward. I have actually had a little list going for a few weeks now where I'll jot down things he does or says as a reminder to myself. His vocabulary has virtually exploded overnight. He can identify so many things correctly now. You may or may not be able to understand him, but if you know what he's talking about, you can tell he's using the correct word for it. Here's a little sample of what he's saying now:
:: apple sauce {ap poo SCHLAAUUH}. Notice the emphasis on 'sauce'. I believe apple sauce is his first two-word combination. And right now, apple sauce seems to be one of his favorite things to eat. In fact, his first three-word combination is "more apple sauce". Thank goodness they have different flavored ones now (strawberry, blueberry, etc.). They're all yummy!
:: sunscreen {shuh schwee}. He recognizes the bottle, calls it by name, and willingly comes to you to let you put some on him because he knows it means he's going outside to play. Smart kid!:: yes {YAAAAHH}. Think swedish accent {I'm Inga from Sweden.}. It's hysterical! He'll also nod his head in an exaggerated manner when saying yes.
:: Elmo {uhhl MO}. He used to put an 'm' on the front and it came out more like 'meuhl MO', so I think it's kind of neat that he has corrected himself.:: amen {AHHHH mah}. This is so sweet. We have a little book of bedtime prayers we read every night. Each page has a short story and then a corresponding prayer on the opposite page. When we're done, he says "AHHHH mah!".
:: Ashley {ash LEE}. Ashley is one of his teachers at school. When he says her name, it actually sounds pretty darned close to the way it should sound. His other teachers are Nicole and Heather. He'll say 'cole' for Nicole, but he won't say Heather yet.:: vacuum cleaner {awn MOWah}. OK... that's not really correct. He knows what a lawn mower is, but when he sees a vacuum cleaner (which isn't often around this house!), he calls it a lawn mower. He's not really that far off! They are kind of similar when you think about it.
:: A few more words are please {spheez} (or something like that), tree {chwee}, up {op}, and help {hep}.And here are a few things he's doing now that I think are cute. Heck, I'm his mommy, so I think everything he does is cute. Well... almost everything! I'm not real fond of when he decides to sit down at the bottom of the steps at school (and not get up) when I have Boone in his car seat, 2 diaper bags, and am having to hold Fenn's hand because I don't want him to get away from me in the parking lot. If I put anything down, I'll have to let go of Fenn in order to pick them back up!
:: To come home after picking the boys up at school, I have to drive down Kingston Pike. {For those who don't live here, it's kind of the main road that takes you almost anywhere you need to go in our part of Knoxville.} I usually turn off of Kingston Pike the first chance I get to avoid the afternoon traffic and cut across our neighborhood. But when I start to turn, Fenn starts saying "Noooooo... Nooooo". I can't figure out why he's saying that. Maybe he just likes staying on the main road so he can watch all the cars going by. Who knows???:: A few weeks ago he started grabbing our hand and pulling us to wherever he wanted us to go with him. I just think that's one of the sweetest things ever!
:: We think he might be left-handed. Right now he is favoring his left hand, but we know he could change at anytime over the next couple of years. Or maybe he'll be ambidextrous like his mommy.:: He is doing a pretty good job eating with a spoon and fork. He can usually get at least something to his mouth before dumping the food. He has a tendency to turn the spoon or fork sideways right before he gets it to his mouth. But he is improving! That apple sauce is slippery!
:: Another thing... when he's eating, he'll sometimes stuff his mouth if he really likes something (i.e., cheese, crackers, pasta pickups). And then he'll ask for more. I'll tell him to chew it up and swallow first, then he can have more. He'll do this little exaggerated chewing motion where he bobs his head up and down. Then he'll open his mouth and let you see that it is empty.:: After a bath, we'll put him up on the changing table and put lotion on him before getting him dressed in his PJs. He likes to have a little lotion in his hand. The only problem is that instead of rubbing it in, he'll eat it. And then he'll ask for more!
:: He can match several colors. He has a puzzle that has pieces shaped like music notes, and each 'note' is a different color. The hole in the puzzle where each piece should go has the same color. He can put the pieces back in place. But he can also point to some of the colors when you ask him to do so. Distinguishing between red and pink is a little difficult, though. But he knows green, blue, and yellow... and sometimes even gets red and orange correct.
:: And I saved the best for last. Several weeks ago, we started putting him in "time out" whenever he acts out and/or does something we've told him not to do. He gets one warning, and one warning only! We're not going to be those kind of parents who keep making threats over and over and over ("If you do that one more time, you're going to time out.") and never actually follow through. Sorry if you're one of those parents. But we're just not playing that game. The first time we did it, he knew exactly what to do so we assumed he had already been in time out at school. I have to say he is so cute when he is in time out. We have a hard time keeping ourselves from laughing. He'll sit there and be completely quiet. And he'll even look straight at the wall (we have his stool in a corner and make him face the corner). Every once in a while, he'll turn around and look at us. But he doesn't say anything. He just waits until we tell him that time out is over. One time, he put himself in time out after hearing us say the word. I think we had just told him he was going to time out if he did something again. I guess he knew he'd slip up and do it again, so he might as well go ahead and get the time out over with. We had to tell him he had not done anything wrong and didn't have to sit in time out.I sure do love that child!






No comments:
Post a Comment