This morning was Boone's baptism... such a special, special day for a baby. Both sets of grandparents were supposed to be here for the big event, but no one was able to make it. My parents couldn't make it because my mom was sick and just not able to make the trip. And Dan's parents were planning to head up from north Georgia on Saturday morning, but got snowed in. So, it ended up just being the four of us.
Before I get to the baptism, I have to tell this story. This morning while we were running around trying to get ready and not be late for church, Fenn and Boone were playing on the floor in the family room. All of a sudden, we heard a loud 'thud' and ran into the room as Boone started crying. He had toppled over and the back of his head had hit the floor. He was lying there crying and Dan walked in ahead of me and said to Fenn, "Fenn, can you help Boone?" Fenn just looked at Boone and had no reply to that question. We picked up Boone and started loving on him. A few minutes later I walked back in the room and Fenn was lying on the floor... doing a fake cry. I could tell he was fine. But I asked him if he had fallen and he said, "Yes, Fenn fall down... bump head." So I played along, picked him up, and started loving on him. That seemed to satisfy him. He just wanted the same attention that Boone had just gotten.
For a flashback to the post about Fenn's baptism back in September 2008, click here.
We got to church in plenty of time and even had a few minutes to take a few pictures before church started. And since we didn't have anyone else there, we ended up asking a very nice man sitting a couple of rows behind us to take some pictures during the baptism. Wow... taking photos in church lighting is really difficult! Those lights are so harsh and create terrible shadows on people's faces. But the important thing is that we have the occasion documented.
The service was performed by Dr. Steven Sallee and Rev. Rebekah Fetzer. Boone did great the whole time. He even smiled and giggled at Steven when he took him and held him up in front of him. Having the water sprinkled on his head didn't phase him either.
He was so cute when Steven walked him around the sanctuary so everyone could see him. Something about that makes my eyes tear up every time. I did the same thing during Fenn's baptism. When they start walking around, I have to fight back my tears. And I'm sure that causes me to get the dreaded 'ugly face'... you know the one.... the face you make when you're trying to keep from crying in front of other people.
But I love how they walk the babies around during baptisms. The music they play is so sweet. We actually had thought about baptizing Boone the weekend of Fenn's birthday party in December since we would already have family in town. But when I found out they would have limited time (due to a Christmas music program) and not be able to walk Boone around, I decided to wait and do it another time.
After the ceremony was over, the choir sang this very lively song: View the City. The soloist was wonderful! {click here to see a video of someone else singing the song.} I love that our church is so diverse with people of all backgrounds and that they sing different types of gospel music. Fenn loved it! We were sitting on the second row, but when this song started, he walked around and started dancing and clapping in front of the first pew. I wish I had gotten a better photo of him, but he was moving so much and so fast, I just couldn't get anything better. After that, I took Fenn to children's church {which he finally loves and goes with no protest} and Boone stayed with us. Boone took his bottle and then crashed on daddy's lap.
After church, we had several people come up to us and comment about how sweet Boone was. One guy walked up and said, "He has so much personality. When Steven was walking him around, he was making eye contact with everyone and smiling the whole time. He's going to be a politician." Such a nice thing to say. Although, I'm not sure that I want my kids to go into politics. But if that's what either of them choose, then I'll support them. Here's one more cute photo of Fenn. He was hamming it up in front of everyone before church started. For some reason, I neglected to take a photo of Boone by himself in his baptism outfit. But his 9-month photo session is coming up in a couple of weeks and I'll get some then.
Style Showcase 355
1 day ago















No comments:
Post a Comment