skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Fenn Celebrates His First Birthday!
The weekend of December 5th, we celebrated Fenn's first birthday. The weekend started off on Friday with Fenn's 12-month portrait session up in LaFollette, TN (about 45-50 minutes north of Knoxville). Rebekah, who has photographed Fenn since he was 7 days old, gave birth to her second child on Monday, so Rebekah's husband, Daniel, did this session. Their business has taken off so well, that Daniel started working with Rebekah several months ago. {Here are some of the proofs they posted on their blog.} We arrived and quickly
got Fenn changed into his first outfit, a cute pair of bright green overalls with a smocked panel of red Santas across the chest. Immediately, Fenn was smiling and we were so excited because it seemed like this might be his best session yet. We did the first photos in front of their winter wonderland scene. They had another, more formal, Christmas scene, so we decided to get a couple of shots in front of that one, too. While Daniel was repositioning the lighting, I was holding Fenn. All of a sudden, Fenn proceeded to projectile vomit all over me. I have to say I was completely surprised and caught off guard by this because #1 ~ Fenn had shown absolutely no signs of feeling bad and #2 ~ he had never thrown up before. I just stood there, unable to move at first. I didn't want to spread the mess anywhere else.
Well, then he did it again. It was all over his cute overalls, and all down the front AND back of my t-shirt. We cleaned up Fenn as best we could and got him changed (because we had plenty of clothing for him). But that wasn't the case for mommy. Keep in mind, we were almost an hour away from home and I had not even entertained the idea of taking a change of clothing for me.
Luckily, Daniel had on a t-shirt and a long-sleeved shirt, so he told me to take his long-sleeved shirt. Otherwise, I would have been wearing a puke covered t-shirt until we could get home. Needless to say, we didn't get any more Christmas shots. We continued with the birthday part of the photo session and Fenn seemed to feel fine. He didn't react to the smash cake like we had hoped he would, so that was a little disappointing. Maybe we should have had some test sessions to get him acquainted with the concept of smashing the cake and rubbing it all over his face. But the photos still turned out cute. Toward the end of the session, we had him stand up for a few shots. He slipped, fell, and bumped his head on the floor pretty hard, so then he needed to be comforted by mommy. {When you see some of the photos from his birthday party later in this post, you'll probably notice the bruise on his forehead. Just one of many more to come, we're sure.} Of course, I had to pick him up and hug him... but he was covered in cake and frosting which, of course, got all over my borrowed shirt. So instead of wearing puke home, I wore a cake-covered shirt home. And let me say that after an hour of driving in the car, the smell of birthday cake starts getting old.
It's Saturday and it's time to party! It turned out to be a really fun day. And it snowed that morning as people were arriving for the party, but it didn't stick. Fenn was in a good mood (which is the norm for him) and was eating up all the attention he was getting from everyone. We were fortunate enough to have most of his immediate and extended family here, including both sets of grandparents, 3 uncles, 2 aunts, 3 cousins, a "friend" of my brother's, and of course, mommy, daddy, and Petey.
Fenn's aunt, uncle, and 2 cousins who live in Texas weren't able to be here. But that would have been a really long way for them to come... not really a driving trip like it was for everyone else. And a few of Fenn's other cousins couldn't be here because of other commitments. They were all missed, but we understood why they couldn't be here. We decided to do a Lion theme for the party. {Fenn's daddy had a stuffed lion that he carried around as a little boy until he lost it in an airport somewhere in Europe.} I found all these cute things with lions on them (the invitation, the big mylar balloons, Fenn's birthday overalls, his Robeez shoes), and then we got a great cake made.
The cake had a top "smash" layer of orange cake with a buttercream frosting, the middle layer was chocolate with buttercream frosting, and the bottom layer was strawberry with cream cheese frosting. For lunch, we served BBQ with baked beans from our favoite BBQ place, M&M BBQ. Fenn got lots of fun (and noisy) presents. {Thanks Todd and Angie... Dan and I can't stop singing the Mickey Mouse Club song now!} I think this is the case with most kids, but Fenn seemed most interested in the bows and wrapping paper at first. It was later that weekend when he really started playing with his new toys. That evening, we all sat around and watched the SEC Championship game. Because I'm so late in getting this post done (although I have it dated for the 8th, it is really late December that I'm working on it), I'm having a hard time remembering some of the details of the party. At this point, I'll just post a bunch of photos for everyone's enjoyment. Thanks so much to everyone who made the trip! It will mean so much to Fenn one day when he looks back at the photos and video. It meant a lot to mommy and daddy, too!





I just had to post this next series of photos. Many of them are blurry (because I haven't learned how to freeze motion using my camera yet), but they're really funny. Fenn started shaking his head back and forth (as if saying "No") and then because we were all laughing at him, he got tickled with himself and kept doing it.





And this last one... I am just sick that it isn't in focus. Look at that sweet smile!
No comments:
Post a Comment