Today, Fenn's daycare class had a Christmas party and Santa was there for photos. Because Dan and I have been so busy since Thanksgiving (getting ready for Fenn's birthday party, decorating and shopping for Christmas at the last minute, and Dan working on a deadline for a client), we had not had a chance to take Fenn to meet Santa yet. And we had not even had a chance to start prepping him for his first Santa sighting. So when I heard they were going to have Santa Claus at school today, I was a little worried but not really too worried. Fenn is so good natured and goes to anyone without any hesitation. He has never gone through the whole separation anxiety thing. He just seems to be comfortable in all situations. Well, that wasn't the case today. I had to take chicken nuggets for the party, and decided to deliver them while the kids were napping so that I wouldn't disturb Fenn's day. When I got there, Fenn's teachers told me how it went. At first, Fenn was all smiles when they were putting him on Santa's lap. Then Fenn turned around to look at him and he just started screaming. He was terrified! Then they said once they got back to their classroom, Fenn was still upset. He kept looking around the room as if he was looking to see if that man (or thing) was still there. They finally got him down for a nap... but only after he was completely traumatized by the whole thing. Of course, I felt horrible when they told me this. Dan and I had planned to take Fenn to see Santa sometime before Christmas and have him wear his cute green, smocked overalls for the photo. But we decided it best not to traumatize him any more. Maybe next year will be better.







No comments:
Post a Comment