Sunday, October 11, 2009

Mommy's Annual Girls' Trip


I just got back from my annual girls' cabin trip weekend last night.  We affectionately refer to ourselves as the Cabin Divas.  We believe this was our 12th year going.  I go with a group of girls {that makes us sound much younger than we actually are} I used to work with in West Point, GA.  We all worked for a local bank and they all actually still work there.  I'm the only one who has ever left!  And there are many times that I wish I still worked there.  I miss them all so much!  We always go to Waynesville / Balsam Mountain, NC.  Donna's family owns a cabin in Balsam (which originally belonged to her dear grandparents).  Her family was originally from the Coral Gables, FL area and they spent their summers at the cabin.  Donna has many fond memories of the cabin and has been gracious enough to share her special place with us all of these years.  We go every fall and have even gone twice a couple of years (making the 2nd trip in the spring).  We shop in Waynesville, Asheville, Dillsboro, and Maggie Valley.  We eat, we drink, and we spend a lot of time hanging out on the porch of the cabin.  That's our view from the porch! 

This trip means so much to all of us and we anxiously look forward to it every year.  As we've gotten older and everyone's kids have gotten older {except for mine... I got a late start!}, the tone of the trip has changed.  We don't drink as much, we don't stay up quite as late, the wrinkles have increased, and the topics of our conversations have changed.  But I hope we always continue to make this trip.  Yes, I have new friends here in Knoxville.  But there's nothing like longtime friends who really know you.  When we're shopping in Waynesville and see a group of women older than us, we'll point to them and say, "There we are in 20 years."  I sure do hope so! [Top Photo (L to R): Donna, Phyllis, Linda, Amanda, me, Barbara]

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails