On Sunday, we went to the pumpkin patch at Maple Lane Farms in Maryville, Tennessee. Last year, we went to Oakes Farm in Corryton, Tennessee, but decided to try a different one this year to see which one we liked best. There are actually things we prefer or like best about each one.
Oakes Farm seemed to be a little more organized and professional, like more of a real business. But they don't actually grow the pumpkins on the farm. Instead, they purchase them from somewhere else and just dump them out into an open field (which was kind of dry and dusty last year). They did have great activities for kids, but Fenn was still a little too young to enjoy many of them. Maple Lane Farms actually grows the pumpkins there. The ride out to the pumpkin patch on the flatbed trailer pulled by a tractor was very authentic and we even saw a herd of cows coming in for the evening. They walked right past us and Fenn really got excited about being so close to them.
They seemed to be a little less organized and had fewer things to do for little kids. Both farms had corn mazes, which we have yet to try for fear of getting stuck inside with a screaming kid and not being able to find our way out fast enough. We'll do the corn maze in another couple of years, though. I do think Oakes Farm has a "mini" corn maze made out of bales of hay for smaller kids, so that's kind of cool.
Last year, it was unseasonably warm on the day we went to the pumpkin patch. But this year it was C-O-L-D!!! And windy, too! I actually didn't take enough things to keep us warm. I had asked Dan what the weather was like and he said it was in the 50's but didn't really feel that bad. That's the last time I trust his judgment about weather! I'll start checking myself from now on. I didn't take hats for the kids and didn't take a heavy enough jacket for myself. Thankfully, the sweater I had for Boone had a hood so I was at least able to cover his head. Fenn had on a polar tech pullover, but no hat. I had an extra pair of socks for Boone, so I was able to double up there. And we had a couple of blankets for the boys. It actually wasn't too bad when you were in the sun and the wind wasn't blowing.
We spent quite a while out in the pumpkin patch letting Fenn explore... and get filthy. It was a little wet and muddy out there. I guess that's better than dry and dusty! He loved walking around looking at the pumpkins and trying to pick them up. And he really seemed to like making them roll... and roll... and roll. Oh, and he also thought it was funny to pick them up and drop them. Oops! He didn't bust any open though.
On the hayride back, Boone fell asleep. I didn't realize it at first, but knew he sure did seem to be leaning to one side. I had him strapped on in the Baby Bjorn carrier. No mom should be without a Baby Bjorn! Finally, someone looked at him and made a comment like "So adorable!" and then I looked down and realized he was asleep. Poor little guy was exhausted from all the fun.
We got back and paid for our two pumpkins and then let Fenn explore a little. We tried to get him to stand in front of the "How Tall This Fall?" pumpkin sign, but he wouldn't pose for me. He kept sitting down. I finally got Dan to distract him by getting him to look at it so I could at least get a photo of him standing in front of it.
Fenn played at the edge of the corn maze for a while and then we headed home. Another fun trip to the pumpkin patch. I can hardly wait until next year when Boone will be walking!
Because there are just too many great photos to post here, I have a bunch more that you can see. Just look over in the right-hand column of the blog under "More Photos of Fenn and Boone" and click on the link to "Fall 2009".
Style Showcase 355
1 day ago















No comments:
Post a Comment